[Kst] KDE 3.2 Requirement

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Thu Apr 14 16:48:09 CEST 2005

> On HFI we are using KST on more than 20 computers (half are dedicated
> calibration machines
> and the other half are laptops used by scientists). It's not a bad
> timing to make the change now
> as we are in between two calibration runs.
> New machines are going to arrive in the next weeks/months. We will
> instal a newer Linux distribution on these but it is out of the
> question to ask everybody to switch
> from RD9 to a newer distribution solely on the basis of KST.
>
> We have 2 questions:
> 1) What Linux distributions should we instal on our new machines ?
> 2) Can you provide a list of packages that need to be installed for KST
> to work with RD9 ?

If you are happy with the way that RedHat is administered and running,
then I would suggest going with Fedora Core.  It really is the same
thing, with a name change.  Upgrading from RH9 to FCx (3 is the current
newest version) is as easy as upgrading from RH8 to RH9; just boot from
the FCx install CD and tell it you want to upgrade your system.  All
rpms that were in the official RH9 packages will be upgraded; I've
upgraded a handful of RH9 machines in our lab, and it has always gone
smoothly.  As for any 3rd party packages (or things installed with "make
install"), they usually need to be upgraded separately.

To get a list of all packages needed for any rpm package to install (and
run), you can use rpm like so:
$ rpm -qR kst |xargs rpm -q --whatprovides |sort|uniq
This will have rpm query what binaries and shared libraries are required
for 'kst', and then have rpm figure out what package name provides them.
I then sort and uniq'ify the output for easy reading.

For example, on my (last remaining) RedHat 9 machine, kst 1.0.0
requires:
[matt at truch 1.0.0]$ rpm -qR kst |xargs rpm -q --whatprovides |sort|uniq
bash-2.05b-20.1
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2
glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7
gsl-1.1.1-5
kdelibs-3.1-13
kst-1.0.0-1
libart_lgpl-2.3.11-2
libgcc-3.2.2-5
libpng-1.2.2-20.3.legacy
libstdc++-3.2.2-5
no package provides <=
no package provides 3.0.4-1
no package provides 4.0-1
no package provides rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)
no package provides rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix)
qt-3.1.1-6
XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2.90.60.legacy
zlib-1.1.4-8.7x

Don't worry about the 'no package provides' lines, that's just because
rpm doesn't know what it already brings to the party.  Basically you
need a functioning system with kde installed, as well as gsl.  This
doesn't include additional libraries that may be needed by additional
datasources you want (ie piolib or netCDF).  This also doesn't list
requirements for building kst.

I hope my long-winded answer helps.

--
"Ice Cream has no bones."