[Kst] Re: On k/qmatplot, kst, LabPlot and xmgrace...

Stefan Gerlach gerlach at mbi-berlin.de
Wed Mar 10 10:21:11 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm the maintainer (and main developer) of LabPlot. I started this project 3
years ago to develop an application which is comparable to Microcal Origin or
SPSS Sigmaplot on Windows but runs on Unix platforms. Please have a look at
http://staff.mbi-berlin.de/gerlach/Linux/LabPlot/.

Grace has some nice features like scripting and data transformation but has
also some hard limitations (no 3d plots, Motif GUI -> no KDE integration).
kmatplot/qmatplot was a nice project but unfortunatly stopped 2 years ago.
kmatplot makes some real nice 3d plots.
From kst i just heard a month ago. Its mainly for big and online data
analysis, if i understood right. Does it support 3d or surface plots? I had
no time to have a closer look at this program.
There is another project called kpl
(http://frsl06.physik.uni-freiburg.de/privat/stille/kpl/) which also uses
KDE. I found it to be complicated and somehow limited at the moment.

So there are only 3 "good" plotting programs out on Linux/Unix (Grace, kst and
LabPlot) compared to how many plottings applications are out for Windows
platforms. I thing it's good to have different applications for similar
problems (like KDE vs. GNOME), so one can share ideas and test different
things. Because it's all free software, we all can learn from each other
without any commercial interests.

I also like to hear from the other developers.

Regards,
Stefan