[Kroupware] Outlook compatibility with Kroupware clients

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 29 12:28:21 CET 2003

On Sunday 26 October 2003 03:46, Jonathon Sim wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:34, Martin Konold wrote:
> > Am Tuesday 21 October 2003 11:10 am schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > > but it would help you trying to write a script to one way convert data.
> >
> > Actually there is already working code in KDE to _read_ the tnef encoded
> > information and then to convert it in standard compliant format.
>
> So let me get this straight :
> * With outlook using one of the connector plugins you can *read* the
> calendar/ contact/etc store using open source code that has already been
> written (presumably I can cut-and-paste it or script it with DCOP to create
> a automatic sync script).  But we can't write it directly (yet?)

There is code begin Free Software to "read" and interpret
those data which was written by OL+connector in TNEF format.
Personally I didn't test the integration of this code in the current KDE Kolab client.

> * you can send and receive updates between outlook and an open client using
> ordinary clear-text email.

Any client will send updates of appointments to _other recipients_ by email.
As long as OL sends a subset of the icalender standard,
the KDE Kolab clients or other can also understand this
and write answers themselfs.
Note the the Free Software KDE Kolab client
has some switches to work around bugs in the iCalender
implementation of OL2000.

> If this is true then surely (in principle!) you could sync Outlook and open
> clients like so:
> * Initially import the outlook data using the "outlook data reader"
> described above.
> *. When someone changes something in outlook the connector sends an email
> which open clients can read (you could also see the update by looking at
> the message store directly)
> * When something changes in the open data store you can send an email to
> update Outlook
>
> So basically you synchronise between a user's open and closed "virtual
> accounts" just like you might synchronise between different user's
> accounts. This would give a kind of "poor man's synchronisation"

I think you are mixing up communicating with other people
over appointments (done by E-Mail) and manipulating
your own data store (read/write over dIMAP).
The handled data is differently.
E.g. you can save stuff in your own data store
which cannot be send to other people by email.