[Kroupware] Outlook compatibility with Kroupware clients

Jonathon Sim sim at zeald.com
Sun Oct 26 15:46:12 CET 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:34, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Tuesday 21 October 2003 11:10 am schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > but it would help you trying to write a script to one way convert data.
>
> Actually there is already working code in KDE to _read_ the tnef encoded
> information and then to convert it in standard compliant format.

So let me get this straight :
* With outlook using one of the connector plugins you can *read* the calendar/
contact/etc store using open source code that has already been written
(presumably I can cut-and-paste it or script it with DCOP to create a
automatic sync script).  But we can't write it directly (yet?)
* you can send and receive updates between outlook and an open client using
ordinary clear-text email.

If this is true then surely (in principle!) you could sync Outlook and open
clients like so:
* Initially import the outlook data using the "outlook data reader" described
above.
*. When someone changes something in outlook the connector sends an email
which open clients can read (you could also see the update by looking at the
message store directly)
* When something changes in the open data store you can send an email to
update Outlook

So basically you synchronise between a user's open and closed "virtual
accounts" just like you might synchronise between different user's accounts.
This would give a kind of "poor man's synchronisation"

> I am currently working on a scheme for OL plugin developers to write
> standard compliant format to the message store.

That would be brilliant (I we can't yet have an open source outlook connector,
one that uses open standards would at least be a start)
--
Jonathon Sim <sim at zeald.com> Developer/Network Administrator at Zeald Ltd
JabberID: sim at jabber.com