[Kroupware] Outlook compatibility with Kroupware clients

Jonathon Sim sim at zeald.com
Thu Oct 30 11:21:51 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:28, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > So basically you synchronise between a user's open and closed "virtual
> > accounts" just like you might synchronise between different user's
> > accounts. This would give a kind of "poor man's synchronisation"
>
> I think you are mixing up communicating with other people
> over appointments (done by E-Mail) and manipulating
> your own data store (read/write over dIMAP).
> The handled data is differently.
> E.g. you can save stuff in your own data store
> which cannot be send to other people by email.

Well not really, but perhaps sort of.  I would envisage essentially creating
two accounts per user (in practice maybe you can use different folders in one
account or something, but the principle is the same).  Then a script or
daemon on the server can sync between them just by "watching" the IMAP
folders and doing something like so:
(1) something changes in user_outlook -> reads data directly -> user_kolab
(2) something changes in user_kolab -> writes update email into IMAP inbox ->
user_outlook.

Presumably with the code in Kolab  (1) can be done.  The only trick is whether
(2) can in principle be done (is it possible to update Outlook about at least
the "major" things this way).  And of course there are huge issues with
conflicts, reliability and user-friendliness that I am glossing over here :-(

--
Jonathon Sim <sim at zeald.com> Developer/Network Administrator at Zeald Ltd
JabberID: sim at jabber.com