[Kroupware] translation efforts

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri May 9 11:23:48 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2003 19:20 schrieb Jeroen Baten:

Hi Jeroen,

> > As far as a method for translating is concended I do not know gettext
> > (as M. Konold suggested) - I would simply have an ressource file
> > included and replaced all english text with variables. The included
> > ressource file then would have the corresponding language expressions
> > for the original english text.
>
> This would be my preferred solution too, but I am not a benevolent project
> leader :-)

This is not about leadership but about best technology for the problem domain.
IMHO gettext has multiple advantages incl. the fact that KDE and GNOME have
both a lot of experience with gettext.

The most important advantage of gettext is that there are tools readily
available and that the translation can be easily seperated from coding.

Please have also a look at http://i18n.kde.org/
http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/gui-specialized-apps.html#kbabel
and http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/screenshots.html

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de