[Kroupware] Custom UID

Christopher Lewis kroupware at mail.kde.org
Fri Jun 20 12:08:55 CEST 2003

On Friday 20 June 2003 02:08 am, kroupware-request at mail.kde.org wrote:
> > How hard is it going to be to add a custom UID back into the Kolab
> > server?   The reason I ask is because I've already got UID's for all my
> > users, and I  want to keep it consistent across all programs.  It's bad
>
> I asked the same question yesterday 8-)
>
> > enough that each  applications (system login, database login, email
> > login, etc) has it's  independent password list, I would appreciate at
> > least being able to choose  my IDs.
>
> From what I found out from the code so far, you have to do three things:
>
> 1. Re-enable the user id field in create_user.php. There are basically
> three instances in the code that have only been commented out. Have a look
> at the patch I posted yesterday. This will un-hide the uid LDAP field.
>
> 2. Change the kolab script (/kolab/etc/kolab/kolab) so that it creates the
> Cyrus maildrops using the uid LDAP attribute instead of the mail
> attribute. The old code is only commented out. This will allow you to log
> in using the uid and it will allow Cyrus to find the right maildrop.
>
> 3. Changing the Cyrus maildrop names also implies re-creating postfix's
> virtual transport map which will map the email address to the mailbox
> (uid) address. I'm currently working on re-creating the old code behaviour
> there because the basic code is still there (you name it: commented out)
> but the stuff around the comments has been changed, too ;-)
>
> I *think* this is all you have to do but maybe one of the developers could
> be so kind to confirm it?
>
> I agree with Martin that the new design is much cleaner (especially in a
> multi-domain environment) but I just cannot have 500+ users (most of them
> computer-illiterates) change their email usernames ;-)
>
> Regards,
> hh

Thanks for the info.  I'll look for your patch, since I didn't notice it
before.  It's nice that all this information is still there, even if it isn't
working right now.  As far as your 500+ users go, all I can say is I feel
sorry for you.  I only have about 45 computer illiterates (out of about 50
employees), but I can understand what you mean.  They can't change their
e-mail configurations either, and they will use their system login ID if they
configured it themselves.

Since I'm not really a programmer (only work with VB and Access for now), I
guess I don't really understand why the multi-domain is so difficult to
implement with user defined UID's.  Okay, I also don't know anything about
postfix, so I guess I'm pretty useless here anyway.  Anyway, I know that
between Sendmail's Aliases and Virtual User tables, you can map pretty much
any e-mail address to any UID.  So what's the difference with Postfix that
makes this such a big deal?  I just figured I could assign a UID, assign an
e-mail address for whatever domain, and maybe assign some aliases for that
e-mail address. (And yes, I know it's not that simple, it's just the idea.)

Sorry for the rant.  I know you're the guy trying to help me.  I just want to
understand this a little better.  Thanks.

--
Christopher Lewis
Systems Administrator
chris at maximlighting.com