[Kroupware] Custom UID

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Fri Jun 20 23:24:04 CEST 2003

--On Freitag, 20. Juni 2003 11:08 -0700 Christopher Lewis <> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I'll look for your patch, since I didn't notice it
> before.  It's nice that all this information is still there, even if it
> isn't  working right now.  As far as your 500+ users go, all I can say is

I'm still struggling with the code and how everything works together. I
haven't worked with Cyrus IMAP before and I have no experience with
LDAP-enabled Postfix systems. Cyrus IMAP also seems to be poorly documented.

I think I reverted everything back to the old behaviour in the kolab script
and create_user.php. Please see the attached patch for details.

However, I still don't get incoming mail delivered to the right mailbox.
The  virtual map works correctly but the lmtp process is unable to deliver
an incoming message to the maildrop (the uid is "aa", the email address
"aa.aa at domain.tld"):

Jun 20 19:19:07 mail <info> postfix/lmtp[14044]: 3607DB3A73:
to=<aa at domain.tld>, orig_to=<aa.aa at domain.tld>, relay=/kolab/var/kola
b/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp], delay=13, status=bounced (host
/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp[/kolab/var/kolab/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox unknown.
Either
there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have
authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO comm
and))

> Since I'm not really a programmer (only work with VB and Access for now),
> I  guess I don't really understand why the multi-domain is so difficult
> to  implement with user defined UID's.  Okay, I also don't know anything

If you have multiple domains, e.g. domain1.tld and domain2.tld and you have
two people with the same name, e.g. "Peter Miller", they would have two
unique email addresses (peter.miller at domain1.tld and
peter.miller at domain2.tld). How do you pick the username, especially if you
want to auto-create the UID? If you use the email address as the UID, you
don't need any logic in your software for this step because the email
address always has to be unique. Apart from that, administration becomes
easier because you don't have to look up the UID of a user if you want to
change mailbox parameters.

hh