[Kroupware] Email client for windows

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Fri Jun 20 13:18:30 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:00:23PM +0200, Henning Holtschneider wrote:
> *LOL* I have to pay Bynari to get their connector or I have to pay someone
> else to get a non-Bynari connector. There's no difference. If Bynari or
> some other company (I might call it Konsec :^) decides to cease support
> for their connector product or make it incompatible with Kolab, I'm at a
> dead end with my great Free Software.

No! It is the dead end of the great poprietary software. You can switch to
complete Free Software alternative (eg: GNU/Linux with KDE).
Using Kolab via Outlook is actually a migration path towards
a pure Free Software solution.

> When using Windows as the client platform, there is no freedom of choice
> as long as no one comes up with a free Outlook-replacement Kolab-enabled
> client.

True that using Windows usually limits the freedom of choice ! ;-)

Developing a Free Software plugin for Outlook would be a comprehensive
job to do. IMHO, investing such Free Software man power (if available
at all) should better be spend into developing an alternative
Kolab-enabled MUA (if spent for Windows at all).

A Kolab-web client is an interesting compromise that should require
a reasonable efford.

Best

	Jan
--