[Kroupware] Email client for windows

Henning Holtschneider hh at holtschneider.com
Fri Jun 20 13:00:23 CEST 2003

>> interesting alternative (if you have only Windows clients) because you
>> can choose between Kolab server and InsightServer at no cost.
>
> no cost is definitely not true since you will have considerable
> migration costs.

Wrong. Kolab server is free but if I want to use its groupware features
from Windows, I have to buy software to connect my Windows client
(Outlook). Since I'm switching from mail/groupware server XY anyway (which
means migration costs anyway) why not "evaluate" Bynari's server for free?

Honestly, I do not yet see that the Kolab server will be a better solution
than Bynari's server looking at the way the project went along in the
past. Thus, it's always good to have a backup choice if they give it away
at no extra cost?

After all, I don't want to advertise Bynari's server nor do I want to
speak against Kolab. I just tried to point out that Bynari is selling its
server plus connector at the same price as the connector alone.

> Also, why using a proprietary server when you can use a
> Free Software? Maybe Bynari will cancel support or in another
> way annoy you. Then you can't change the service provider.
>
> For Kolab this can't happen. If you pay for the Kolab
> you ensure support and continued development without loosing

*LOL* I have to pay Bynari to get their connector or I have to pay someone
else to get a non-Bynari connector. There's no difference. If Bynari or
some other company (I might call it Konsec :^) decides to cease support
for their connector product or make it incompatible with Kolab, I'm at a
dead end with my great Free Software.

When using Windows as the client platform, there is no freedom of choice
as long as no one comes up with a free Outlook-replacement Kolab-enabled
client.

hh