[Kroupware] Re: OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jul 21 13:40:33 CEST 2003

On Monday 21 July 2003 00:17, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 14:30 schrieb Robert Wittams:

> > The current system is a massive hassle and completely nonstandard...

It leads to a higher security and maintainability of current Kolab Server
installations at in an average. Bein disconnected from the distributions
has advantages and disadvantages as many people cite.
In our case it is a sound option, because it makes it possible
to keep a high standard side-stepping the pecularities of the various
GNU/Linux distributions.

> > The primary supported method should be a set of patches to the upstream
> > packages, and the coordinator. Eventually, the patches should dwindle to
> > zero.
>
> Good that you tell us how to feed patches upstream!
> We would not have known otherwise.

(That response misses a simley.)
What Martin tries to say is that we naturally give all our changes back upstream,
but also saw the disadvantages to wait for all distributions to catch up.
As explained above we'll expect it to help stability.

> > certainly am, I don't really want to install another random packaging
> > system.

OpenPGK is a serious system.

> Feel free to contribute and maintain kolab server packages for your
> favourite platform.
>
> >It just makes my life harder.

We'll seriously appreciate help to make more people happy,
but we also realise that any decision we take will have
ups and downs. In the long run, distributions will certainly pick
up the Kolab standard on the server side.

	Bernhard