[Kroupware] Re: OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jul 21 01:17:31 CEST 2003

Am Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 14:30 schrieb Robert Wittams:

Hi Robert,

> There is just no way that distributions will accept installing a funny
> extra packaging system on top of their own one.

It is not expected that distributions will adopt the openpkg packaging.
Basically openpkg is our offer to those who want to install kolab as
painlessly as possible now.

We will definetly not go for the hassle to create server packages for all
linux/unix operating systems available.

The current offer basically allows us to offer easy to install packages for
the kolab server which enables us in addition to provide security related
updates.

Doing security updates for all available distributions/packaging formats is
simply beyond our current scope.

From a technical perspective integrating the kolab server in existing
linux/unix packaging systems is non trivial and means extra effort and extra
complexity. Basically we have to make sure that the current vendor mechanisms
for install and update work well with our setup. In addition vendors tend to
modify the configuration of server components which interferes with our
automatic approach.

> The current system is a massive hassle and completely nonstandard... The
> primary supported method should be a set of patches to the upstream
> packages, and the coordinator. Eventually, the patches should dwindle to
> zero.

Good that you tell us how to feed patches upstream! We would not have known
otherwise.

> certainly am, I don't really want to install another random packaging
> system.

Feel free to contribute and maintain kolab server packages for your favourite
platform.

>It just makes my life harder.

Please educate yourself before making these claims.

Regards,
-- martin konold

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de