[Kroupware] Re: OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Wim Bakker wim at unetix.nl
Mon Jul 21 10:43:24 CEST 2003

On Saturday 19 July 2003 14:30, Robert Wittams wrote:
> I totally agree with this.
>
> There is just no way that distributions will accept installing a funny
> extra packaging system on top of their own one.
>
> The current system is a massive hassle and completely nonstandard...

Hai,

I think the method of distribution choosen , is quite good actually,
it makes it possible to distribute and maintain one codebase , installable
on all distributions, whether one has a .tgz .rpm .deb etc. based system ,
it allways fits. Updates are done in the kolab environment , without affecting
the base distribution and vice versa, updates to the base distribution won't
affect or disturb the kolab environment.

> The fact is that almost nobody will end up using the OpenPKG stuff once
> this is in distros, why bother making everyone reluctant to try it? I
> certainly am, I don't really want to install another random packaging
> system. It just makes my life harder.

I doubt that, because the kolab packages are basically vendor independent
the only catch is , you have to compile them yourself, that shouldn't be too
much of a problem. The only disadvantage I see is that a lot of packages
are installed , like binutils ggc etc. that are normally allready in a
distribution, so some extra diskpsace is needed, but with current big
harddisks that isn't too much of a problem either. Noone requires you to
use openpkg for anything else than the kolab environment.

wb