[Kroupware] OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Noèl Köthe n at koethe.net
Sat Jul 19 01:04:17 CEST 2003

Am Don, 2003-07-17 um 15.54 schrieb Martin Konold:

> > also there should be a possibility to install the kolab server on a system
> > without the need for openpkg.
>
> Why?

It maybe OK for the developement but for administrators it sucks.
Every little and big program integrats into the runing system and tries
(and most do) to follow the file system hierachy. Kolab just uses /kolab
and below its own little subsystem and doesn't care about the runing
system. Its not integrated in the distribution and not in the security
update process of the distribution.

afaik you choosed OpenPKG to install it the same way on solaris, *bsd
and linux but the acceptance on the administrator side isn't there imho.
Its easier to try/test/download/install these
http://www.opengroupware.org/en/download/index.html packages because
they integrate into my system and not build their little subsystem.

You are integrating the client into the KDE system with providing .rpms
(and afaik .deb are available somewhere) why not do the same with the
server.

IMHO its not the right way to stay on openpkg because its barrier for
the admins and they are testing/using and evaluating the software to
find a replacement for their Exchange system or for a useable groupware.

I dont understand why you ask "why?". Are people happy with this
kroupware server distribution?
A "./configure;make;make install" is more accepted than openpkg I think
but its all just my opinon.

--
Noèl Köthe