[Kroupware] OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu Jul 17 16:54:44 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2003 13:49 schrieb Holger Schroeder:

Hi,

> - the server installation should be easier:
> of course you had to manage your own set of patches to apply them to the
> main packages before compiling to be able to work effectively. i haven't
> looked at the patches for some months, but you should get the patches, for
> which it makes sense, into the main packages, so that in the future you
> don't need package foo version x.y.z and apply your patches, but you say
> you need package foo version x.y.z+1 and don't have to apply any patches.

We already do this very much. (We are no idiots)

> also there should be a possibility to install the kolab server on a system
> without the need for openpkg.

Why?

> it is a good way to make the "kolab server
> part" of the server independent of the operating system version in big
> installations. but there are also some people like me, who have only one
> server, which has already an apache running and so on. so i have the
> problem to integrate kolab with the rest of my system. this task would be a
> lot easier, when a kolab installation description would state "add the
> following few lines to your apache.conf:" or similar.

How do you want to keep this info uptodate? Please be aware of the fact that
the config is automatically written by kolab during runtime. IMHO it is
nearly impossible to include this in many existing distributions/OS without
_major_ maintainance issues.

Due to the fact that the kolab server is security critical I don't see the
benefit in integrating it with vendor supplied server components.

On the other hand why not integrate your general apache setup with kolabs
apache?

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de