[Kroupware] OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

jon+kolab at silicide.dk jon+kolab at silicide.dk
Sat Jul 19 12:09:52 CEST 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 12:04:17AM +0200, No?l K?the wrote:
> Am Don, 2003-07-17 um 15.54 schrieb Martin Konold:
>
> > > also there should be a possibility to install the kolab server on a system
> > > without the need for openpkg.
> >
> > Why?
>
> It maybe OK for the developement but for administrators it sucks.
> Every little and big program integrats into the runing system and tries
> (and most do) to follow the file system hierachy. Kolab just uses /kolab
> and below its own little subsystem and doesn't care about the runing
> system. Its not integrated in the distribution and not in the security
> update process of the distribution.

actualy this has both advantages and disadvantages. Deleting is (mostly)
just rm -rf /kolab

> afaik you choosed OpenPKG to install it the same way on solaris, *bsd
> and linux but the acceptance on the administrator side isn't there imho.
> Its easier to try/test/download/install these
> http://www.opengroupware.org/en/download/index.html packages because
> they integrate into my system and not build their little subsystem.

You should expect the distributions to make packages for their system.
Sure it is easier if kolab makes it, but which distributions should
they make it for? debian, suse, redhat, mandrake, yellowdog, gentoo,
http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html

> You are integrating the client into the KDE system with providing .rpms
> (and afaik .deb are available somewhere) why not do the same with the
> server.

yes, that would be nice

> IMHO its not the right way to stay on openpkg because its barrier for
> the admins and they are testing/using and evaluating the software to
> find a replacement for their Exchange system or for a useable groupware.

i think it is fine for testing, and it can run in openpkg until
the distributions themselves start to package the files. Granted
kolab will proberly move on to 1.1, 1.2, ... and at some time
the /kolab will have to be integrated.

> I dont understand why you ask "why?". Are people happy with this
> kroupware server distribution?

NO, but i'll guess that someone repacks it for debian soon,
and possibly using exim rather than postfix, as exim seem
to be the default debian MTA.

> A "./configure;make;make install" is more accepted than openpkg I think
> but its all just my opinon.

maybe, i think that many people will accept almost whatever
just to get a groupware system to linux.

JonB