[Kroupware] Re: OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Thu Jul 17 16:32:47 CEST 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 13:49, Holger Schroeder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 14 July 2003 19:48, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > The actions that I've undertaken were fine,
> > > you know why we act as we act.
> >
> > To explain this a bit further:
> > We've put the priority to quality control the software
> > and the collaboration with the community over PR.
> > To have a stable and powerful product is the best PR somebody could
> > have.
>
> The time is working for you. when you get the kroupware branch merged
> into what will be kde 3.2 by the end of the year, you will
> automatically have the "kolab client" aka kmail/kontact on almost every
> linux desktop, as almost every distribution installs kde.

We can not in any way guarantee that KDE 3.2 will come with a complete
Kolab client that is as stable as the kroupware_branch one. Keep in mind
that I've done about seven months of debugging work on it, and there's no
way this can be done for HEAD. Now, I'm not likely to do as many
mistakes, and the OL workarounds I now know how to do and so on, so it
will not take as long time. But some things needs to be rewritten for
3.2, and that will mean Q&A from scratch.

> i am playing around with this since some months, and i really like it.
> there are still two points left:
> - you should check, that the users can't _in any case_ destroy its data
> anywhere. i understand, that you had to put a warning on the
> installation description, as to make a backup of all data and so on.
> but this is not helping any more. iirc, some work on this has been
> done, but it should be made foolproof, and it should be tested
> _extensively_ that in no case any data will be erased, if the user
> doesn't explicitly tell kmail to do so.

My plan is to put out a 1.0.1 of the client fairly soon, that will not
permit to run kmail with an online imap configured. This should be the
only way to loose any mail at all, so if it's impossible, we should be
safe.

Bo.

- --

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark