[Kroupware] OpenGroupware release is a success for the Kroupware Project

Holger Schroeder holger-kde at holgis.net
Thu Jul 17 14:49:41 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Monday 14 July 2003 19:48, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2003 19:36, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > Yes, but still the public relations work of kolab sucks :-(
> >
> > The actions that I've undertaken were fine,
> > you know why we act as we act.
>
> To explain this a bit further:
> We've put the priority to quality control the software
> and the collaboration with the community over PR.
> To have a stable and powerful product is the best PR somebody could have.

The time is working for you. when you get the kroupware branch merged into
what will be kde 3.2 by the end of the year, you will automatically have the
"kolab client" aka kmail/kontact on almost every linux desktop, as almost
every distribution installs kde.

i am playing around with this since some months, and i really like it. there
are still two points left:
- you should check, that the users can't _in any case_ destroy its data
anywhere. i understand, that you had to put a warning on the installation
description, as to make a backup of all data and so on. but this is not
helping any more. iirc, some work on this has been done, but it should be
made foolproof, and it should be tested _extensively_ that in no case any
data will be erased, if the user doesn't explicitly tell kmail to do so.

- the server installation should be easier:
of course you had to manage your own set of patches to apply them to the main
packages before compiling to be able to work effectively. i haven't looked at
the patches for some months, but you should get the patches, for which it
makes sense, into the main packages, so that in the future you don't need
package foo version x.y.z and apply your patches, but you say you need
package foo version x.y.z+1 and don't have to apply any patches.
also there should be a possibility to install the kolab server on a system
without the need for openpkg. it is a good way to make the "kolab server
part" of the server independent of the operating system version in big
installations. but there are also some people like me, who have only one
server, which has already an apache running and so on. so i have the problem
to integrate kolab with the rest of my system. this task would be a lot
easier, when a kolab installation description would state "add the following
few lines to your apache.conf:" or similar.

> Naturally we should start collecting more good experiences
> people have made with Kolab already. Anybody feels like
> contributing success stories? :)
>
> 	Bernhard

Holger