[Kroupware] OpenGroupware.org formed through SKYRiX open sourcing its Groupware server

Maarten Stolte maarten.stolte at papuaos.org
Thu Jul 10 17:07:41 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:59, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:45 am, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> > ugh..as the topic states:
> > http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1210
>
> While this is a repackage of an older project, I have yet to see it work.

the Skyrix is being sold by SuSE afaik as OpenExchange, or am i totally
mistaking here?

> There is a ton of hype behind it but IMHO they have a few disadvantages.
> The big one being the huge database backend.  By using IMAP to store
> information and LDAP to store the config and accounts I think kolab has more
> flexability.

agreed, and they have the bigger databases non-opened, so that might be
a big catch..

>    Now advantages we can catch up with quickly.  The webdav
> support is pretty easy with a nano (i think this is the webdav python server)
> and they pyimap code.  Someone with time and energy could duplicate this
> quickly.

no idea how much work this'll be.

>  Im not sold on the webdav part though over a native MAPI transport
> and datastore like im doing.  The only real advantage for the Gnomes is
> evolution can use it out fo the box.

you are doing a mapi for? The advantage for the gnomes seems to be only
with the Outlook connector.

> That being said, they are going to be competition and I think this is a good
> thing as it may force kolab to address its shortcommings (yeah just try to
> upgrade a kolab server... i still cannot without losing email)

yup

> These guys have some momentum, but in the end from what I can tell they dont
> have much more than us accomplished already.  Well see, maby this will get
> the kroupare guys developing again!

i hope so too :-))

Maarten