[Kroupware] OpenGroupware.org formed through SKYRiX open sourcing its Groupware server

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-kolab at benshaw.com
Sat Jul 12 20:58:38 CEST 2003

> AFAIK the problem with E4L is, that they store *every* MAPI attribute
> as a single SQL row which obviously doesn't scale.

Nevermind, I understand now.  :-)  Actually that is being addressed, or so I
have been told...  objects will be split up by type (notes, calendars,
contacts, mail, etc.) into separate schemas which should address the "one
humongous table" problem.

I dunno, it's a very interesting time to be evaluating Exchange
replacements.  In the end I think that E4L may be technically more
advanced, but having the closed MAPI client and no real clean way to access
the open store by other (OSS) groupware clients will _really_ hurt it in
the long run.  Kolab seems to be more suited to providing an open server
platform, and then also providing clearly open-protocol and standard
methods to access the server platform.

Can you explain what you mean by "avoiding locking at the cost of losing
object identity" ??  It sounds like a scary thing to lose.

Regards,
Andrew