[Kroupware] OpenGroupware.org formed through SKYRiX open sourcing its Groupware server

Ian Reinhart Geiser geiseri at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 11:39:44 CEST 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 10:07 am, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:59, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:45 am, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> > > ugh..as the topic states:
> > > http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1210
> >
> > While this is a repackage of an older project, I have yet to see it work.
>
> the Skyrix is being sold by SuSE afaik as OpenExchange, or am i totally
> mistaking here?

Im not sure, i know suse has a groupware server, but afaik it only has a web
frontend.
> > There is a ton of hype behind it but IMHO they have a few disadvantages.
> > The big one being the huge database backend.  By using IMAP to store
> > information and LDAP to store the config and accounts I think kolab has
> > more flexability.
>
> agreed, and they have the bigger databases non-opened, so that might be
> a big catch..

I had problems understanding the arch, because the webserver is slashdoted
now.  I get the impression they are a bunch of peices cobbled together, imho
KOLAB will be easier to maintain and upgrade because of the bulk of storage
is in imap.

> >    Now advantages we can catch up with quickly.  The webdav
> > support is pretty easy with a nano (i think this is the webdav python
> > server) and they pyimap code.  Someone with time and energy could
> > duplicate this quickly.
>
> no idea how much work this'll be.

its not trivial, but its something someone could do as OSS...  It would be on
the magnitude of complexity of a simple web client (aka no css, just raw
basic html) I would have taken this up but my company has already dedicated
and well into a native GPL mapi service for windows.  Webdav only works with
outlook, so this effectively locks any company doing CRM or addons to outlook
from using this service.  The native mapi will allow users to drop out
exchange and replace it with kolab.

> >  Im not sold on the webdav part though over a native MAPI transport
> > and datastore like im doing.  The only real advantage for the Gnomes is
> > evolution can use it out fo the box.
>
> you are doing a mapi for? The advantage for the gnomes seems to be only
> with the Outlook connector.
The truth is in america no-one wants or cares about linux on the desktop.  But
linux on the server is a done deal.  If KOLAB has a native outlook connector
it should gain faster acceptance.

This all being said, from what I can tell is they have a server that just
exports everything via webdav.  While this is imperfect it can talk to most
things.  I think kolab while a little behind out of the gate, has a better
chance at long term success because its more open, and more flexable.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri at yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri at geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown