[kroupware] About mozilla calendar ...

Manuel Hoppe kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:17:03 +0100

Bo Thorsen wrote:
>>Im very interested in the Kolab Server, but without a wide support
>>within the community all different groupware solutions are nothing
>>worth at all. I think there is no need for proprietary servers.
> Just because something is not "widely supported within the community"
> doesn't mean it's proprietary??? Why whould you claim such a thing?
[...]
> Sorry to sound a bit harsh here, but that was a pretty hard statement you
> gave :-(

No problem! Maybe I used the wrong words.
Its the thing, as you mentioned, that there are many projects and just a
few support a more or less useable interface. This project gives,
hopefully, a good platform for other projects.

>>I know that those diskussions are old and Im aware that its projects
>>aims on a single solution. But I think its time for more collaboration
>>between such projects like Mozilla.org and OpenOffice.org and so on and
>>think about the time after the project.
> I don't mind repeating this again: We are concerned about the KDE client,
> the server and Outlook integration. Beyond this, I really hope other
> projects like Evolution, Mozilla, OO... pick it up. We're here if they
> have any questions we can help them with.
[...]
> The community support comes from the individual projects, not from us.
> That is the way it has always worked.

Hey, we're the same option! :-)

>>The integration in KDE is virtually native, so there no chance of
>>domination of one product.
> I don't care about domination of one project over the other or not. I'm
> using the KDE client, so I worry about that, and that there's nothing on
> the KDE client side that prevents cooperation with other clients. If one
> of the other projects have some problem with the KDE client behaviour,
> I'll fix that.

All I want to clearify is the position of this project regarding other
(mail-)clients. Now for me its clear, that other projects are welcome
and it shouldnt be too complicated to realize. Fine. :-)

So finally, is someone interested to found a project or join the
existing calendar team and develop a compatible client?

--

Manuel Hoppe