[kroupware] About mozilla calendar ...

Marc Mutz kroupware@mail.kde.org
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:25:50 +0100

--Boundary-02=_vXyK+OKWSDCJvgN

On Sunday 19 January 2003 22:25, Manuel Hoppe wrote:
<snip>
> Well, good question! The only answers I was able to find is something
> like "KDE Client only". But I hope somebody could enlighten me and
> give some good news.
<snip>

Kolab is not at all limited to the KDE Client. There are two modes in=20
which you can use Kolab:

1. Legacy-free mode: All communication is done via open, standardized=20
network protocols (SMTP, LDAP, IMAP) and file formats (rfc2822, iCal,=20
=2E..).
2. Legacy mode: To interoperate with Outlook, clients need to be able to=20
send and receive TNEF/MAPI objects, which essentially are binary=20
serializations of Outlook classes. That is a hard reverse-engeneering=20
task, but the KDE Client is supposted to do that (within a limited=20
scope - e.g. well-defined Windows/IE/OL versions and languages).

(2) is where a KDE Client is currently required. If you set up a new=20
infrastructure without Outlook clients, you can use almost all clients=20
directly. The only gotcha is that all account-specific data=20
(addressbooks, calendar data, ...) is stored as attachments in IMAP=20
folders.

Marc

=2D-=20
The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a bit longer.            -- Henry Kissinger