[Kroupware] Re: Fwd: My Two Cents Worth

Miroslav Zubcic kroupware@mail.kde.org
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:47:18 +0100

"konold@erfrakon.de" <konold@erfrakon.de> writes:

> WE are not going to support sendmail within the kolab server. Please feel
> free to add sendmail yourself though.

I don't need web interface for sendmail, m4 and sendmail ldap aliases
are OK. But my boss says that he needs calendars, groupware and all
that stuff. Actualy, he doesn't realy know what he wants yet. :-)

>> I've asked on this list couple weeks ago - is it possible to use
>> kroupware web interface with existing components on the system, for
>> example I have OpenLDAP 2.1.10, cyrus-imapd, etc ... Why do I have to

> We made only precautions to be able to use an exiting LDAP server e.g.
> OpenLDAP or other brand.

OK, but if somebody wants to be "on his own", is there some hints
how to configure web interface by hand, is there some things in the
code or just config files? I cannot find obvious things, in kolab src
rpm admin subdirectory is the web interface. Is there config file for
it someware? Can you give my at least some hints how to start? Some
README file maybe?

> We will not support the usage of extra webservers or extra imap servers.
> YOu are on you own here.

OK, I agree with that. I'm more/less compatible with your server
choices (excluding MTA choice of course).

>> compile gcc and many already-present tools/programs just to use
>> kroupware web interface? (even if MTA part will be non-functional due
>> to sendmail)

> Basically this is our approach in order to be able to finally support very
> many installations on many different operating systems reliably without
> beeing forced to port every fix (think about security fixes etx) to every
> version of every odd target platform.

You can prevent security bugs by enforcing _your_ version of package
<foo>, but you can also _introduce_ potential security (or any other)
bugs by enforcing your version of package <foo> - IMO.

--
		The Network is the Filesystem