[Kroupware] addressbook

Tassilo Erlewein kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:27:10 +0100

On Friday 21 February 2003 22:06, Wim Bakker wrote:
> Hai,
>
> On the server it is possible for the manager to edit
> "the addressbook". I suppose this is some kind of
> general shared addressbook, as I understood from the
> documentation. How can the kolab-client (kmail) view this
> addressbook? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the
> menus of the client.

You access this address book using "kaddressbook"

> Second, when adding/modifying a user, there is this
> checkbox which has as label "check here to make this users address
>  visible in the address book" , as I imagined , this user's data
> would appear in the general addressbook , but not so, what
> exactly is the function of this checkbox?

creating a user means:
- create a mailbox and make an ldap entry

There are however situations in which a user might want
a mailbox but doesn't want to be shown in the public
address book. Technically, we maintain the user in
a invisible part of the ldap tree. This is a requirement
coming from our contractor.

> Thirdly, when deleting a user it doesn't get deleted, only after
> a restart of the servers it disappears from the list and are its
> data removed from harddisk. Why is that?

user deletion works like this:

- you delete it in the webinterface
- it gets marked in ldap (setting a delete flag)
- the so-called slurpd (openldap project) learns
  about a ldap change and notifies the kolab configuration backend
- the backend goes through the ldap tree and removes objects with
   the delete flag set

I have observed that the slurpd/kolab notification mechanism
sometimes gets out of sync. I'm still investigating. I can produce
the situation if I very often stop and restart the server like
somebody probably would do when installing it and trying it out ;-)

My feeling is however that the situation stabilizes when you
wait a little time and let the slurpd get rid of all its change notifications.