[Kroupware] addressbook

Wim Bakker kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:16:54 +0100

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 16:27, Tassilo Erlewein wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 22:06, Wim Bakker wrote:
> > Hai,
> >
> > On the server it is possible for the manager to edit
> > "the addressbook". I suppose this is some kind of
> > general shared addressbook, as I understood from the
> > documentation. How can the kolab-client (kmail) view this
> > addressbook? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the
> > menus of the client.
>
> You access this address book using "kaddressbook"

Yes, I saw that, but using kadderssbook only seems
to give access to the personal addressbook , not the
addressbook which is editable in the manager's webinterface.

> > Second, when adding/modifying a user, there is this
> > checkbox which has as label "check here to make this users address
> >  visible in the address book" , as I imagined , this user's data
> > would appear in the general addressbook , but not so, what
> > exactly is the function of this checkbox?
>
> creating a user means:
> - create a mailbox and make an ldap entry
>
> There are however situations in which a user might want
> a mailbox but doesn't want to be shown in the public
> address book. Technically, we maintain the user in
> a invisible part of the ldap tree. This is a requirement
> coming from our contractor.

Yes, but when I check the checkbox, then the users data
should appear in the general addressbook, isn't it?

> > Thirdly, when deleting a user it doesn't get deleted, only after
> > a restart of the servers it disappears from the list and are its
> > data removed from harddisk. Why is that?
>
> user deletion works like this:
>
> - you delete it in the webinterface
> - it gets marked in ldap (setting a delete flag)
> - the so-called slurpd (openldap project) learns
>   about a ldap change and notifies the kolab configuration backend
> - the backend goes through the ldap tree and removes objects with
>    the delete flag set
>
> I have observed that the slurpd/kolab notification mechanism
> sometimes gets out of sync. I'm still investigating. I can produce
> the situation if I very often stop and restart the server like
> somebody probably would do when installing it and trying it out ;-)
>
> My feeling is however that the situation stabilizes when you
> wait a little time and let the slurpd get rid of all its change
> notifications.

Yes , y're right, I gave it time to settle later and let it run for some
time everything seemed to go right, deleting, adding etc.

Thanx
Wim Bakker

This e-mail was scanned by RAV Antivirus!