[Kroupware] Questions about Kmail IMAP-client

Andreas Korn kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:07:07 +0100

Bo Thorsen wrote:

> On Monday 17 February 2003 18:46, Andreas Korn wrote:
>
>>Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>>>Apard from the technical part that Bo answered.
>>>Disconnected IMAP is needed if you want offline capabilities
>>
>>Wouldn't it be better, to use some other mechanism to make an offline
>>mode optional? When I think about a company network, most clients will
>>always be online and some few Laptops are "one the road", so most won't
>>need have everything offline. I think about something like the Mozilla
>>feature for IMAP folders to make them available offline.
>

> Sure. As I said, it's only because we didn't make this work so far that
> it's not possible to have the calendar stuff in anything other than dIMAP
> folders.

I never thought of Local Folders or POP folders (usually the same as
local folders), just 'not disconnected' IMAP folders.

> I do feel that there is one *very* big advantage with dIMAP - backup. It's
> next to impossible to make really good backup of everyones local stuff,
> unless you simply back up all the users files.

Or you just use regular IMAP. If someone moves his or her mails away
from IMAP folders, then it is not in the backup. There is no difference
to dIMAP.

> One of the key advantages of the Kolab server is that backup is extremely
> simple. And with disconnected IMAP you know that everyones calendar is
> backed up.

That's how it should be.

> Another thing: I don't know anyone who keeps every mail in their inbox.
> You always move mails somewhere else. There is absolutely nothing
> stopping you from moving the mails to something else, as long as the four
> groupware folders are on the imap server.

Moving the mails out of your INBOX and moving them from the IMAP server
to local folders are not the same.

>>>and use several clients. The first client might make changes
>>>on its copy and the second one, too. Now they need to get synced.
>>>As simple copy and write back method wouldn't work here.
>>
>>How do you sync this?
>>Is it really neccessary to work with multiple clients simultamously?
>>Where would I need support for this?
>

> It's definately needed if you have more than one person working on the
How about making a local copy of the involved mails for write access and
leave the rest on the server otherwise?
> same folders - shared folders. It's also needed for people with more than
> one computer.

How are the shared folders synced differently with dIMAP than with IMAP?

> Bo.
>
> - --
>
>      Bo Thorsen                 |   Praestevejen 4
>      Senior Software Engineer   |   5290 Marslev
>      Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark

Basically I still don't understand, why the dIMAP is needed instead of
IMAP. I don't see POP or local folder stuff as a real option for this.

One more question:
As for as I can see (at least up to now), the shared folders are just
shared IMAP mail folders like a bulletin board. Are the shared folders
involved in other parts, too?

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
for they are subtle and quick to anger!