[Kroupware] Questions about Kmail IMAP-client

Bo Thorsen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:48:37 +0100

On Monday 17 February 2003 18:46, Andreas Korn wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm curious about the places demanding disconnected IMAP and why.
> >> Could you be a bit more specific?
> >
> > Apard from the technical part that Bo answered.
> > Disconnected IMAP is needed if you want offline capabilities
>
> Wouldn't it be better, to use some other mechanism to make an offline
> mode optional? When I think about a company network, most clients will
> always be online and some few Laptops are "one the road", so most won't
> need have everything offline. I think about something like the Mozilla
> feature for IMAP folders to make them available offline.

Sure. As I said, it's only because we didn't make this work so far that=20
it's not possible to have the calendar stuff in anything other than dIMAP=20
folders.

I do feel that there is one *very* big advantage with dIMAP - backup. It's=
=20
next to impossible to make really good backup of everyones local stuff,=20
unless you simply back up all the users files.

One of the key advantages of the Kolab server is that backup is extremely=20
simple. And with disconnected IMAP you know that everyones calendar is=20
backed up.

Another thing: I don't know anyone who keeps every mail in their inbox.=20
You always move mails somewhere else. There is absolutely nothing=20
stopping you from moving the mails to something else, as long as the four=20
groupware folders are on the imap server.

> > and use several clients. The first client might make changes
> > on its copy and the second one, too. Now they need to get synced.
> > As simple copy and write back method wouldn't work here.
>
> How do you sync this?
> Is it really neccessary to work with multiple clients simultamously?
> Where would I need support for this?

It's definately needed if you have more than one person working on the=20
same folders - shared folders. It's also needed for people with more than=20
one computer.

Bo.

=2D --=20

     Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark