[Kroupware] Questions about Kmail IMAP-client

Bo Thorsen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:46:38 +0100

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 16:07, Andreas Korn wrote:
> Bo Thorsen wrote:

> >>Wouldn't it be better, to use some other mechanism to make an offline
> >>mode optional? When I think about a company network, most clients
> >> will always be online and some few Laptops are "one the road", so
> >> most won't need have everything offline. I think about something
> >> like the Mozilla feature for IMAP folders to make them available
> >> offline.
> >
> > Sure. As I said, it's only because we didn't make this work so far
> > that it's not possible to have the calendar stuff in anything other
> > than dIMAP folders.
>
> I never thought of Local Folders or POP folders (usually the same as
> local folders), just 'not disconnected' IMAP folders.
>
> > I do feel that there is one *very* big advantage with dIMAP - backup.
> > It's next to impossible to make really good backup of everyones local
> > stuff, unless you simply back up all the users files.
>
> Or you just use regular IMAP. If someone moves his or her mails away
> from IMAP folders, then it is not in the backup. There is no difference
> to dIMAP.

I see.

I'm going to disappoint you here. There's actually nothing in the=20
KOrganizer code that demands IMAP - it simply needs the KMail for=20
storage. Internally in KMail things are unfortunately less clean. There=20
are a lot of places where KMail makes assumptions if there is IMAP=20
involved. But for dIMAP these assumptions do not hold. KMail in cvs HEAD=20
have now fixed most of these problems, but IMAP in that branch have been=20
less than stable since november because of this transition. I simply do=20
not dare trying to make this work in kroupware_branch - as I said earlier=20
in another thread, I'm not going to sacrifice stability. So for 1.0=20
there's no online IMAP, and I very much doubt that it will be introduced=20
later. Sorry :-(

Bo.

=2D --=20

     Klar=E4lvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark