[Kroupware] How stable work kroubware

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 12 19:05:28 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 17:53, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> > > And i dont believe that the bynari plugin is worthwhile
> > > i had LOTS of trouble getting it to work, and it isnt
> > > stable either. Sure this was version2, but some has reportet
> > > that that part works. Others use version1.
> >
> > You need to use version1.
> > For Kroupware we only tested version1.
> > It works, but is not more stable then ol2 on nt4 itself.
>
> i can only find version2 at their homepage?

Yes that is a problem that has been identified
on this list before. Naturally we don't have control
about what Bynari does. You should contact them.
Some people have been able to get the demo version
for version 1 from them after asking.

Apard from that hopes are on the Konsec Connector
which has been demonstrated on the Cebit (march) in alpha.

> > > But if you just use kolab as a standart imap server and
> > > publishes the freebusy lists at the server, it will work,
> > > but contacts, calendar, and other stuff will be vulnerable
> > > (no central backup) at the client machines.
> >
> > There is a central backup of that on the server
> > a main feature of the Kolab design. :)
>
> yes, but it's only backuped if the data is at the server
> and for that you need the working bynari.

True, I've taken your comment as refering to the whole stuff.

> > > The contacts are not shared though, so get ldap working.
> >
> > LDAP won't help to "share" the contacts.
> > You can have a company wide address book.
> > For the contacts you need to share an account
> > or wait until shared folders work better with upcoming
> > KDE Kolab Client releases.
>
> well my users run windows and thus outlook :/
> Would a shared (contact) imapfolder work?

As long as you cannot use disconnected IMAP (as with the
Bynari or Konsec plug-in on ol) you cannot really use the Kolab Server.
So this wouldn't help ether.