[Kroupware] Installation annoyances

Patrick Lauer gentoo at toso-digitals.de
Tue Aug 12 23:35:54 CEST 2003

Hi,

as much as I like the Kolab concept I still have big troubles installing
it. Most of these problems arise due to openpkg.

First problem: The QIM lists packages, but these have dependencies which
are listed further down (procmail depends on openpkg etc) so that I have
to check every package by hand. This is quite annoying and useless.

Second Problem: The packages have timestamps in their names. This makes
an automated build quite complex, and there is almost no info on how to
get static rpm filenames.

Third Problem: Kolab does not yet integrate into a running server
My well-tuned apache gets overruled by the kolab-interface, kolab
ursurps my ftp port etc. I find this rather inefficient as I'd like to
install the kolab webinterface as a part of my regular apache etc.

The getpackages / buildpackages / installpackages scripts don't work for
me as buildpackages has dependencies that would be satisfied by
installpackages ... D'Oh!
This should not happen!

Kolab is quite new, but I think for easy integration there should be a
fully automated build script which downloads and installs ... I quit
dependency resolution quite some time ago, it's so 80's :-)

I hope I have adequately explained my problems with kolab for now.
When/if I get rid of timestamps in the rpms I'll (maybe) post
a one-step install script.

With best regards,

Patrick Lauer
Gentoo Linux (Junior) Developer