[Kroupware] How stable work kroubware

Jon Bendtsen jbendtsen at laerdal.dk
Tue Aug 12 18:53:42 CEST 2003

+jbendtsen=laerdal.dk at mail.kde.org
> ]On Behalf
> Of Bernhard Reiter
> Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 5:30 PM
> To: kroupware at mail.kde.org
> Subject: Re: [Kroupware] How stable work kroubware
>

> On Tuesday 12 August 2003 15:54, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> > > ]On Behalf
> > > Of Dirk Schleicher
> > > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 3:38 PM
> > > To: kroupware at mail.kde.org
> > > Subject: [Kroupware] How stable work kroubware

[cut]

> > > This PC will be integrated in a small network with 5 NT-Clients
> > > and Outlook2k.
> >
> > but i havent been able to get o2k to work with the ldap.
>
> LDAP ist only used for the "read-only" addresslists for the clients
> that works out of the box if you add an Option->Services
> directory server and give the BaseDN and the kolab server address
> and restart ol.

thanks i'll try that.

> > And i dont believe that the bynari plugin is worthwhile
> > i had LOTS of trouble getting it to work, and it isnt
> > stable either. Sure this was version2, but some has reportet
> > that that part works. Others use version1.
>
> You need to use version1.
> For Kroupware we only tested version1.
> It works, but is not more stable then ol2 on nt4 itself.

i can only find version2 at their homepage?

> > But if you just use kolab as a standart imap server and
> > publishes the freebusy lists at the server, it will work,
> > but contacts, calendar, and other stuff will be vulnerable
> > (no central backup) at the client machines.
>
> There is a central backup of that on the server
> a main feature of the Kolab design. :)

yes, but it's only backuped if the data is at the server
and for that you need the working bynari.

> > The contacts are not shared though, so get ldap working.
>
> LDAP won't help to "share" the contacts.
> You can have a company wide address book.
> For the contacts you need to share an account
> or wait until shared folders work better with upcoming
> KDE Kolab Client releases.

well my users run windows and thus outlook :/
Would a shared (contact) imapfolder work?

> > That depends on what they expect. This isnt exchange functions
> > (yet) but it might get there.
>
> Note that we never targetted to replace exchange
> (compare to http://kroupware.kde.org/faq/faq.html#General3)
> and already have some feature that exchange never had.
> (Like the backup and security capabilities.)

I know, but thats what i want to use it for, or rather to
avoid getting an exchange server.

JonB