[Kroupware] How stable work kroubware

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Aug 12 18:30:21 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 15:54, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> > ]On Behalf
> > Of Dirk Schleicher
> > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 3:38 PM
> > To: kroupware at mail.kde.org
> > Subject: [Kroupware] How stable work kroubware

> > How stable is work with kroubware?

Both Kolab server and KDE Kolab Client are stable.

> > This PC will be integrated in a small network with 5 NT-Clients
> > and Outlook2k.
>
> but i havent been able to get o2k to work with the ldap.

LDAP ist only used for the "read-only" addresslists for the clients
that works out of the box if you add an Option->Services
directory server and give the BaseDN and the kolab server address
and restart ol.

> And i dont believe that the bynari plugin is worthwhile
> i had LOTS of trouble getting it to work, and it isnt
> stable either. Sure this was version2, but some has reportet
> that that part works. Others use version1.

You need to use version1.
For Kroupware we only tested version1.
It works, but is not more stable then ol2 on nt4 itself.

> But if you just use kolab as a standart imap server and
> publishes the freebusy lists at the server, it will work,
> but contacts, calendar, and other stuff will be vulnerable
> (no central backup) at the client machines.

There is a central backup of that on the server
a main feature of the Kolab design. :)

> The contacts are not shared though, so get ldap working.

LDAP won't help to "share" the contacts.
You can have a company wide address book.
For the contacts you need to share an account
or wait until shared folders work better with upcoming
KDE Kolab Client releases.

> > On the beginning we will work with 2 clients on it.
> > In the daily use what will happen? Will it work "normal"
> > or how many time I will spend on the system?

That depends on what you call "normal"
there are installation where people use this.

> That depends on what they expect. This isnt exchange functions
> (yet) but it might get there.

Note that we never targetted to replace exchange
(compare to http://kroupware.kde.org/faq/faq.html#General3)
and already have some feature that exchange never had.
(Like the backup and security capabilities.)