[Kroupware] Questions about the copyright

Stephan Buys s.buys at icon.co.za
Thu Aug 7 09:44:15 CEST 2003

Hi Joël,

On Thursday 07 August 2003 01:20, Joël SAUNIER wrote:
> Hello,
> What is the exact licence and copyright ? The website is
> not very clear about it. The Libre Software used are under
> their own copyright (the GPL for all I guess), but what
> is the case of the kolab Perl script ?

The Kolab script is licensed under the GPL by the guys from Erfrakon.
This project is very much a Free Software project. You can check
the license of all the packages by checking the output of /kolab/bin/rpm -qai

> The second question is about the development process the
> kolab team will used. The team try to start a large
> community for kolab, and it's a good thing. But how the
> community contributions will be include in a future
> release ? Who will accept or reject these contributions ?

The best place to start is to send your contributions to the kolab-devel
mailing list in patch form. The maintainers can then pick up the work
and commit it to CVS. The server portion is maintained by Erfrakon and
the client side is maintained by Klarälvdalens Datakonsult. Of course
there is opportunity to get write/read access to CVS as well.

> An example: if I want to improve the kolab perl script,
> I could probably check it out from the CVS, change it,
> but after ? This script is the central part of the kolab
> server, so I think any change (or proposal) will be
> carefully check.

Definitely the kolab-devel mailing list. This way a lot of developers can
try the code and scrutinize it.

> In any case, the free release of such a server is a good
> thing.
Glad you like it!

Kind regards,
Stephan Buys