[Kroupware] FAQ: flexible administration of multiple kolab servers

Tim Jansen kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:36:13 +0200

On Monday 30 September 2002 10:27, Brad Hards wrote:
> > Yes, I agree but will SLP work in non LAN environment like dial up
> > internet?
> As good as DNS, probably.

No, it would be a problem when the user connects to a regular internet
provider and not to the network that the server resides in. The internet
provider will not forward the multicast or broadcast messages from the
company network.
There is an internet draft that solves this, something like "Directory Agent
location via DNS SRV records" or "Remote DA discovery", but AFAIK you can not
do this with OpenSLP right now.

> This is why I stopped pushing SLP so hard. Of course, the right abstraction
> should make it transparent as to the service discovery technique. So you
> can just plug in whatever system makes sense.

I doubt that this is possible with DNS-SD and SLP. You could do this with SLP
and LDAP, because both share the same query language. But DNS-SD does not
support service templates or custom-attributes. How could you ever map a SLP
service template on DNS-SD?
Apple has a common API for SLP, LDAP and DNS-SD, but I think they only share
the interface. So you cant write code for registering an SLP service and then
use it for a DNS-SD registration without a complete rewrite.

bye...