[Kroupware] FAQ: Scalability

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:47:31 +0200

Question: What do you mean with Scalability?

Answer:=20
The Kolab server is designed with maximal scalability in mind. Basically =
this=20
means we are targeting possible installations with many thousands and may=
be up=20
to millions of users.
In order to achive this we employ a number of technologies but try _very_=
 hard=20
to not introduce to much complexity.

Scalability techniques employed are:

- make it possible to distribute the Kolab components across multiple ser=
vers.
E.g. seperate the MTA and the IMAPD

- make it possible to cluster functionality in order to gain high perform=
ance=20
and high availability.
E.g. use several Postfix MTA's and MX records for HA and HP

- Don't put unecessary processing on the Kolab server but use the clients=
=20
instead. Basically this means that with the number of the clients the=20
available processing power also increases

- Optimize the architecture for I/O. This means mainly avoid unnecessary=20
copying of data and allow for the use of burst technologies

- Allow for distributed clustering basically to gain HA and network=20
bandwidth/latency

- Use latency hiding techniques

Yours,
--martin
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de