[Kroupware] LDAP address book schema suggestion

Tobias Koenig kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:49:29 +0200

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:26:00PM -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > Hmm, I know nothing about the interna of latitude and longitude, I only
> > know that we could save it as 'geoLatitude' and 'geoLongitude' in the
> > LDAP schema in the float format.
>
> Right, but Lat and Long are normally given as a number of degrees North/South
> and also East/West -- i.e. for 90.0,54.23 there are four possibilities:
>
> 90N, 54.23W
> 90S, 54.23W
> 90S, 54.23E
> 90N, 54.23E
>
> if we're just storing the floating point info we need modify the spec so that
> we always specify from N,W or something.
Hmm, we uses the latitude and longitude values as suggested in the vCard
specification (RF2426). It's much simpler than the degrees. Furthermore
degrees-minutes-seconds values can be easily converted into decimal degress
with
	decimal = degrees + minutes/60 + seconds/3600

So I guess decimal degrees is the best solution.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who