[Kroupware] LDAP address book schema suggestion

Andreas Jellinghaus kroupware@mail.kde.org
30 Sep 2002 10:26:36 +1200

Hi Tobias,

could you take a look at these schemas,
and discuss how we can use these, and then extent then if necessary:
Person, inetorgperson,  organizationalperson and:
 - evolution schema inside the evolution source code
        /evolution/addressbook/backend/pas/evolutionperson.schema
 - mail schema as example on a web site (for management)
        http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/postfix0207/677.html
 - extension schema for outlook
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-GILSchemaExtension.html
     (remove the otherFacsimileTelephoneNumber to make it work)

I think we should evaluate these schema, see how we can work with them,
and extent these only if necessary.

i suggest not do build a dn by using vCard= and not add uid= values
for pure contacts.

why do you want to create extra objects for phonenumber and addresses.
sure, adding them to the person object might be ugly, but i still think
that is the better way.

who nows how everyone else is handling these issues, e.g. microsoft,
netscape, sun, ...? if they have a nice solution, we don't need to
reinvent the wheel. i'd be also good for compatibility.

andreas