[Kroupware] Web interface frontend

Martin Konold kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:36:56 +0200

On Monday 30 September 2002 03:09 am, Lutz Badenheuer wrote:

Hi Lutz,

> Who is 'we'?

Currently mainly erfrakon people are working on the server. We expect to=20
release the very first working version during this week. We put a lot of=20
effort in making it possible to use the kolab server on all linux and mos=
t=20
unix architectures out of the box.

> I am blatantly not included in this. I would work hard, but I miss
> info.

I wrote some FAQs for that and I expect them to be published very soon on=
=20
kroupware.kde.org. FYI I will send them seperatly also to this list.

> There are some things I miss in that documentation. First, I miss the
> AnonFTP-SFTP-Gateway that was mentioned here

We are trying to avoid ftp by any means.  Basically we figured out that f=
tp is=20
only required for OL2000 on NT4. All other platforms incl. OL and the KDE=
=20
client will use https and webdav for upload and download. I believe that=20
https and webdav are a much cleaner and more secure approach.

Even in the case of OL2000 on NT4 we will only use ftp for upload but htt=
p(s)=20
for download. (I still have to figure out if this combination supports ht=
tps=20
properly).

When using the legacy ftp upload we will also stop using anonymous upload=
ing=20
but require proper credentials. Due to the fact that ftp uses clear text=20
passwords we think that it is unwise to comprimise the real kolab passwor=
d=20
for the sake of avoiding anonymous ftp. Therefor a different db is used f=
or=20
ftp. In the simple case it is simply a shared secret and used in the=20
following manner:

Upload  URL: ftp://username:password@kolabserver/freebusy/%NAME%.vfb
Download URL: https://username:password@kolabserver/freebusy/%NAME%.vfb

For the next release of the concept paper we will reflect this in the=20
documentation.

> published. Second, I miss exact info about your ideas concerning to
> virtual domain setup

I will address this in another email (a faq entry)

> and LDAP schemata.

Tobias and Tassilo are working on these.

> > If you mean with "sites" support for multiple domains then I can
> > tell you that we believe to have found a nice solution.
>
> Now that is really, really great. Possibly you should tell about that
> solution instead of giving the useless info that you have such a one.
> Where is it? I just can't hear you. Where is the doc?=20

I wrote it (see my other mails) but due to unknown reasons they did sofar=
 not=20
all get published. In order to save time I will send them to this list an=
d=20
later youmay expect these items to appear on kroupware.kde.org

Regards,
--martin
Germanenstrasse 15, 70563 Stuttgart, Germany
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de