[Kroupware] LDAP address book schema suggestion

Tobias Koenig kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:15:14 +0200

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:26:36AM +1200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
Hi Andreas,

> could you take a look at these schemas,
> and discuss how we can use these, and then extent then if necessary:
> Person, inetorgperson,  organizationalperson and:
>  - evolution schema inside the evolution source code
>         /evolution/addressbook/backend/pas/evolutionperson.schema
>  - mail schema as example on a web site (for management)
>         http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/postfix0207/677.html
>  - extension schema for outlook
> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-GILSchemaExtension.html
>      (remove the otherFacsimileTelephoneNumber to make it work)
Ok, will take a look at it

> I think we should evaluate these schema, see how we can work with them,
> and extent these only if necessary.
>
> i suggest not do build a dn by using vCard= and not add uid= values
> for pure contacts.
>
> why do you want to create extra objects for phonenumber and addresses.
> sure, adding them to the person object might be ugly, but i still think
> that is the better way.
For extensibility...
The normal outlook, the netscape and the person/inetorgperson schemas don't
allow neither to add as many work addresses as you want nor addresses from
different types. Only predefined address types can be
used (mostly work and home)

> who nows how everyone else is handling these issues, e.g. microsoft,
> netscape, sun, ...?
Every software use it's one schema, so creating a better one doesn't hurt.

> if they have a nice solution, we don't need to reinvent the wheel.
But they have not ;)
The problem is that they formed their schemas to work with _their_ software
and not to be extensible at all.

> i'd be also good for compatibility.
Compatible to what? The outlook schema, the netscape schema, the evolution
schema???
In this area exists no compatibility :)

In the history of software/computer you can see that the better
protocol/standard will win (e.g. TCP/IP vs. ISO), so let's create a better
LDAP address book schema, that maybe will get a pseudo standard.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who