[Kroupware] webmail and unix accounts

Andrew Kohlsmith kroupware@mail.kde.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:02:01 -0400

>  Again, I don't want to derail the current project, but I would like to
> have Citadel considered as the long-term solution for an Exchange
> replacement.

When I last evaulated Citadel there were several things I didn't like about
it, but I'll be damned if I can remember (it was several years ago).

To be honest, so long as the server end remains flexible enough for me to use
whatever SMTP, IMAP, LDAP and database servers I want, I'll be happy.  Some
baseline must be established, of course, but anything that maintains that
minimum should be acceptable.

Perhaps in time a setup document will have sections for each server component,
with subheadings for each of the "models" of the component:  i.e. for MTA:
postfix, qmail, sendmail, exim.  IMAP: Courier, Cyrus, Citadel, etc.

Perhaps more work but it would help solve a lot of the "turf wars" that admins
tend to play, and perhaps eliminate reasons for not using the Kolab server
system because IMAP server y is required for some obscure feature used
elsewhere.

Regards,
Andrew