[Kroupware] webmail and unix accounts

Tobias Crefeld kroupware@mail.kde.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:46:12 +0200

Art Cancro:

[Citadel]
>  1. No unix accounts required for mail users
>  2. Web mail supported
>  3. Shared folders supported
>

>  Again, I don't want to derail the current project, but I would like
>  to have Citadel considered as the long-term solution for an Exchange
> replacement.

There exist a lot of mailbased solutions and a lot of them have some
groupware-functionality like Exchange, Suse-Emailserver (similar setup to the
one kroupware is using), Groupwise, some of them based on databases
others based on maildirs. Others like Teamoffice, Iteam and of course Notes
had been originally designed as groupware with some email-funktions
added. There are some appication-finders on the web which offer links to
dozens of groupware-solutions most of them webbased.

At the moment there are a lot of backends available and some desktop-
clients as well but most of them are using proprietary interfaces. Most
installations are using Notes or Exchange which could be seen as a industry-
standard but with bad documentation of how to use this interfaces on a
network level and API only for MSWin-platform there is no way to take them
over as a general standard. Especially MS is changing its rpc-communication
from one day to the other  as they like. On the OpenSource side exists LDAP,
SMTP, IMAP, etc. for mail, but there is no standard for calendaring, resource
management, etc.

I only had a short look on your installation and basically it looks like a BBS with
some mail-add-ons (unfortunatedly without Fidonet-gateway, bad, very
bad... :-). Something that I missed is the possibility of using Outlook to use
Citadel which seems to be a important argument for organizsations which
try to migrate away from Exchange and which is part of "Kroupware-
contract".
Another basic element of such software is something I would call
collaborative calendaring and resource-assignment.
Maybe you could clarify how this could be managed with Citadel?

Regards,
 Tobias.