[Kroupware] MAPI and bynari connector

Bernhard Reiter kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:03:49 +0100

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:15:08AM +1300, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

>  - bynari connector allows to store non mail items such as calendar
>    entries on the imap server. this is a proprietory implementation
>    using specialy formated emails. as i understand it, kroupware tries
>    to reimplement this.

Kroupware calls the attempts to write the proprietory data formats
legacy support. The email format used is TNEF containing binary
stuff that has MAPI property fields. We have some code but the
stability grade for using this legacy support is limited to well
know client versions.

The good part is that you can switch off the legacy support and use
a documented non-proprietory email dataformat,=20
e.g. based on vTODO, vCard and iCalender=20
to save non-email data on the Kolab Server.
It is very important to us to offer a strategy to get away from
proprietory data formats in the mid-term.

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW

--ncSAzJYg3Aa9+CRW--