[Kroupware] Re: kroupware_branch: kdepim/korganizer

Jan-Oliver Wagner kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:50:08 +0100

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:03:07PM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2002 17:08, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Well the project will end. The name will not "die".
> > It will still be the name of the then ended project.
>
> Does that mean that you intend to do some kind of release under the name
> "kroupware"? Now I understand why Martin is looking for a new name ;-)

The term "kroupware" describes a project that started in September 2002
running until contract completion. This term is not a name for any
specific software product.

And there is no sense in inventing a new name now. Kolab is the name of the
server. KMail (or later Kaplan) is the name of the KDE Kolab client.
The whole stuff can generically be called a groupware solution.
It is not wise to define another term just for the couple Kaplan/Kolab.
There will be further clients that work with Kolab and there will be
further servers Kaplan can work with (because only open formats are
applied!).

With "the name "kroupware" will not die, Benhard means that in future
you may always refer to this project. Eg. in the KDE credits file
when say that a certain module was intiated/contributed by KDAB
in the frame of the Kroupware project contracted by the BSI :-)

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH	              	     http://intevation.de/