[Kroupware] kroupware - kde 3.2 ??

Cornelius Schumacher kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:23:59 +0100

On Monday 04 November 2002 18:35, konold@erfrakon.de wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>
> > This includes the willingness to invest the time and work to bring
> > the branch in a shape that fits into HEAD.
>
> Yes, if you look at the rather small kroupware branch you will notice
> that especially steffen, kalle and marc invested a lot of effort in
> making future merkging with HEAD as easy as possible. Of course if
> some code e.g. KO code gets not accepted than there will be some
> parts which not get merged. I hope though that we get much support
> from the original maintainers of kmail and korganizer.

After two months of ferocious hacking the branch is not that small ;-)
Unfortunately some rather fundamental architectural decisions were
taken in a way that doesn't fit very well into HEAD.

It's true that most changes are done in a way that doesn't affect the
original code too much. I appreciate that, but to make sure that the
code will be maintainable in the future, I think we have to aim at a
deeper level of integration. If the merge just results in a couple of
"if (kroupware) { something } else { some other thing }" then sooner or
later the kroupware code will be disabled because it doesn't keep up
with changes in the applications.

I can't speak for others but from my side you have full support to solve
these problems and integrate the kroupware code into HEAD in a decent
way.

> It is definelty clear that we intend to integrate/merge kroupware
> with KDE head as soon as possible. It is my understanding that this
> is done best after KDE 3.1 got released.

We should take the time to do this properly. As KDE 3.2 currently is far
away there is no need to hurry. But I agree that we should start at
least with discussing how to do the merge as soon as possible.