[Kroupware] Trial run with kmail and outlook bynari plugin

ralph escherich kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:48:10 -0800

--------------010808090204050201000106

Martin Lillepuu wrote:

>Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev, 16. detsember 2002 19:54) kirjutas ralph
>escherich:
>
>>1. SMTP authentication with postfix using outlook does not work.
>>   I added the  broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes switch to the
>>   postfix main.cf, but still it didn't work.
>>   The following variable has to be set this way:
>>   smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $mydomain.
>>   This is crucial, because smtp authentication seems to use
>>   <name>@domain as the ID for authentication. If
>>   smtpd_sasl_local_domain does not match the domain id part
>>   of your email address in the ldap database, authentication
>>   will fail with all clients.
>>

>I could not get this working either. Nice to know that there's simple
>workaround to get it working.
>Btw, did you get server side filters (sieve) working?

I did not try the sieve stuff yet, but I'll start looking into it

>>3. kmail/calendar <-> kmail/calendar
>>   works well. A lot of features are still missing in the KDE
>>   client, like gantt chart like calendar, automatic viewing
>>   of free/busy for attendees, accept, reject, propose new time
>>   features.....
>>

>At least accepting/rejecting appontments was there and working correctly for
>me.

Our mistake was to take the last official kde3.1, not the latest cvs
head. We are compiling it right now
and I'll try then again.

>>4. kde client <-> outlook
>>   this does not work for me at all. Appointments sent from
>>   outlook are not interpreted correctly by kmail. Its showing
>>   up as a regular mail, and the vcalendar mime stuff is
>>   not looked at
>>   Appointments sent out by the kde calendar tool are recognized
>>   as an icalendar format, but there are not accept, reject ...
>>   possibilities in outlook. The messages are either not completely
>>   assembled or outlook does not understand them right.
>>

>I didn't have much luck with this one either. But after testing I discovered
>this document and I suppose enabling iCAL should be the key (haven't had the
>time to test it yet):
>
>http://kolab.kde.org/concept-1.0.1/c493.html

I read the document and configured as suggested. Still didn't work. I'll
try with the latest
cvs head again and will let you know.

>>5. free busy posting
>>   free/busy posting from outlook does not work with the ftp approach.
>>   I made a shared disk space though samba and that worked. I guess
>>   the ftp server coming from kolab is not configured right to allow
>>   anonymous access without a password.
>>

>Same here, even though I enabled both ftp/http free-busy services from admin
>interface and added according urls to outlook free-busy options. No luck with
>free-busy.
>
>>- to be able to achieve easy migration from one email server to another,
>>  changing the email address should be possible. right now, once a user
>>  is put into the system, the email address cannot be changed.
>>

>I tried moving kolab from one system to another (suse 8.0 -> debian 3.0). Only
>problem I had was with sldapd picking up depenency of db4 from "outside" the
>bootstrap environment and thus had to be rebuilt on debian system. after
>building and installing openpkg bootstrap, it was only matter of tar/untar.
>changing users e-mail domain names was simple operation of:
>
>	1) dump ldap schema
>	2) replace olddomain -> newdomain with texteditor
>	3) reload ldap schema.

Thanks for the suggestion here, how do I dump the ldap schema and relaod
it??

>>- a check should be performed when kolab is started up (maybe part of
>>  the rc script) to check if any other daemons that are using kolab ports
>>  are running. I had some problem figuring out why postfix, ftp where not
>>  running properly.
>>

>I guess QIM should mention that one must disable/remove any
>smtp/imap/pop3/web/ldap services currently running on the server before
>trying kolab but IMO it's quite obvious anyway.

Yes, QIM would be a good start. The automatism can come at a later more
mature state.
I only mentioned it to be complete.

>>- using the unix id and passwd instead of storing new information in the
>>sasl
>>  ldap database should be an option. Otherwise the double password mess
>>starts
>>  again.
>>

>would it be possible to add unix userid (and passwd?) data to existing kolab
>user schema and then configure pam to authenticate against it?

I actually thought the same thing. I read somewhere that the sasl
package can work with pam, but didn't
have a chance to try it out. Maybe a more experienced developer can give
us some hint here.

--
Ralph Escherich                               2900 Gordon Avenue Suite 203
Senior IC Design Engineer                     Santa Clara, CA 95051-0718

http://www.mobilesmartsinc.com

--------------010808090204050201000106

<head>
</head>
Martin Lillepuu wrote:<br>
I did not try the sieve stuff yet, but I'll start looking into it<br>
Our mistake was to take the last official kde3.1, not the latest cvs head.
We are compiling it right now<br>
and I'll try then again.<br>
I read the document and configured as suggested. Still didn't work. I'll
try with the latest<br>
cvs head again and will let you know.<br>
Thanks for the suggestion here, how do I dump the ldap schema and relaod
it??<br>
Yes, QIM would be a good start. The automatism can come at a later more mature
state. <br>
I only mentioned it to be complete.<br>
I actually thought the same thing. I read somewhere that the sasl package
can work with pam, but didn't<br>
have a chance to try it out. Maybe a more experienced developer can give
us some hint here.<br>
                            <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mobilesmartsinc.com">http://www.mobilesmartsinc.com</a></pre>

--------------010808090204050201000106--