[Kroupware] Trial run with kmail and outlook bynari plugin

Martin Lillepuu kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 02:01:07 +0200

Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev, 16. detsember 2002 19:54) kirjutas ralph
escherich:

> 1. SMTP authentication with postfix using outlook does not work.
>    I added the  broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes switch to the
>    postfix main.cf, but still it didn't work.
>    The following variable has to be set this way:
>    smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $mydomain.
>    This is crucial, because smtp authentication seems to use
>    <name>@domain as the ID for authentication. If
>    smtpd_sasl_local_domain does not match the domain id part
>    of your email address in the ldap database, authentication
>    will fail with all clients.

I could not get this working either. Nice to know that there's simple
workaround to get it working.
Btw, did you get server side filters (sieve) working?

> 3. kmail/calendar <-> kmail/calendar
>    works well. A lot of features are still missing in the KDE
>    client, like gantt chart like calendar, automatic viewing
>    of free/busy for attendees, accept, reject, propose new time
>    features.....

At least accepting/rejecting appontments was there and working correctly for
me.

> 4. kde client <-> outlook
>    this does not work for me at all. Appointments sent from
>    outlook are not interpreted correctly by kmail. Its showing
>    up as a regular mail, and the vcalendar mime stuff is
>    not looked at
>    Appointments sent out by the kde calendar tool are recognized
>    as an icalendar format, but there are not accept, reject ...
>    possibilities in outlook. The messages are either not completely
>    assembled or outlook does not understand them right.

I didn't have much luck with this one either. But after testing I discovered
this document and I suppose enabling iCAL should be the key (haven't had the
time to test it yet):

http://kolab.kde.org/concept-1.0.1/c493.html

> 5. free busy posting
>    free/busy posting from outlook does not work with the ftp approach.
>    I made a shared disk space though samba and that worked. I guess
>    the ftp server coming from kolab is not configured right to allow
>    anonymous access without a password.

Same here, even though I enabled both ftp/http free-busy services from admin
interface and added according urls to outlook free-busy options. No luck with
free-busy.

> - to be able to achieve easy migration from one email server to another,
>   changing the email address should be possible. right now, once a user
>   is put into the system, the email address cannot be changed.

I tried moving kolab from one system to another (suse 8.0 -> debian 3.0). Only
problem I had was with sldapd picking up depenency of db4 from "outside" the
bootstrap environment and thus had to be rebuilt on debian system. after
building and installing openpkg bootstrap, it was only matter of tar/untar.
changing users e-mail domain names was simple operation of:

	1) dump ldap schema
	2) replace olddomain -> newdomain with texteditor
	3) reload ldap schema.

> - a check should be performed when kolab is started up (maybe part of
>   the rc script) to check if any other daemons that are using kolab ports
>   are running. I had some problem figuring out why postfix, ftp where not
>   running properly.

I guess QIM should mention that one must disable/remove any
smtp/imap/pop3/web/ldap services currently running on the server before
trying kolab but IMO it's quite obvious anyway.

> - using the unix id and passwd instead of storing new information in the
> sasl
>   ldap database should be an option. Otherwise the double password mess
> starts
>   again.

would it be possible to add unix userid (and passwd?) data to existing kolab
user schema and then configure pam to authenticate against it?

--
Martin Lillepuu | e-mail: martin@lillepuu.com | gsm: +372 515 6450