Want to contribute

CARVALHO Luis Passos kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:15:37 -0000

> Hi all!

Hi!

> different directories. And I don't want to move the buildin POV-Ray
> functionality to a plugin, as plugins can be deactivated.

Why? It can be a plugin and it is added by default.
However, lets imagine we start providing export for other renderers as well.
What if the user doesn't want to use povray?

If he has an output plugin for his renderer available why would he need to
load povray's output plugin?

If we separate the povray export code from the objects (IMHO we should),
then, there is nothing in the objects or anywhere else that depends on
povray being installed right? The povray parser (for input) is already
totally isolated.

I really think kpovmodeler can be generalized for any renderer. I've been
looking at renderman language specs.
The only real pain is that the concepts of texture, normals and media, as
well as light (povray) are completely different from shaders (renderman).
However, it is possible to develop shaders that implement most if not all of
these things just like povray has them.

Granted it would be a bit of work but we could have a modeller that works
with both renderman based renderers and povray, which is not that common.

Am I aiming too high?

> I hope to get my ISDN card working this afternoon.

Hope to see you back soon.

Regards,
Luis

PS: KDE 3.1 is out. Those who haven't yet upgraded to an RC can now upgrade
and get the brand new kpovmodeler 1.0. :)