AW: Want to contribute

Sylvain Joyeux kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:37:43 +0100

> No, nobody is working on an animation system. This would be a great
> contribution to our program.
I have read the thread about it in the mailing list archive. There are
great ideas here !! I'll plan something and, since I'm new here, mail it
on this list in order to discuss it. The property system will of course
help a lot.

> The problem is: We found no way to build a shared library from sources
> in different directories. And I don't want to move the buildin POV-Ray
> functionality to a plugin, as plugins can be deactivated.
Since all items are separated objects, I don't really see the problem. The
guy who will remove this plugin will have no objects at all, so what ?
If you don't want it at all, maybe we can use the plugin framework but
nevertheless link it directly into the kpovmodeler executable and add it
manually into the plugin manager ? I find that this directory is a real
pain.

In the same idea, I'd like to make the available views act as plugins (in
order to simplify the process when it comes to add new type of views, as
it's likely it will be needed by the animation system). But it's the same
problem here.

The GUI as it is now is really great (it's real magic !!). I wanted to add
IDEAL-tab like views to it because I'd like to have more space for 3D
views in my workspace and I find my 17'' screen a bit small for that (and
because I just love this mode in gideon :).
In fact, I tried something, but I can't make the docking system fit in the
layout I assign it to: in the ideal mainwindow, we need the centralwidget
to be the child of another widget (not directly of the mainwindow). I can
make it happen, but the dockwidget is not constrained by the layout I
insert it into. And I can't find how to do that. Do you have any clue ?
--
Sylvain Joyeux