Parametered representation (was: Some ideas for KPM)

Daveed Vandevoorde kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:54:44 -0500

From: Andreas Zehender <zehender@kde.org>
> [...]
> On Tuesday 31 December 2002 23:24, Daniel Matthews wrote:
>>> I thought about that, too. But imagine the memory overhead if a
>>> calculation can be used for _every_ object attribute.
>>> Not in near and far future, maybe together with scripting and
>>> animation=
> s.
>>
>> Awww! :o( What about simple variables and may be just -=3D*/() for
>> object
>> geometry? It would make a *huge* difference to the power of the
>> interface.
>
> It doesn't make any difference how complex the calculations are. We
> would h=
> ave=20
> to change every single member variable in every object, all access
> function=
> s,=20
> every property edit widget.
> I think this would at least double the memory consumption.

Note that there are alternative, less intrusive ways to add this
sort of parameterization.  I haven't looked at the KPM source,
but I imagine that it manipulates an object tree.  One could
imagine creating a ComputeAndSet node that has the ability to
set properties (using the same API as what the GUI attached to)
based on computed values.  A single ComputeAnd Set node might
set more than one property, BTW.

Just a thought.

Happy New Year to all,

	Daveed (just lurking)